Get help applying for federal funding through the Just Transition Fund’s Federal Access Center! Learn More.

The following is a list of federal programs that provide grants, loans, and technical assistance for economic development projects related to mine land reclamation and remediation. See additional lists of other federal programs here.

Programs and their requirements are subject to change, so please check department websites for current information.

Abandoned Mine Lands Economic Revitalization

Department of the Interior
Varies by State

The Abandoned Mine Lands Economic Revitalization (AMLER) program provides funding to six states and three Indian tribes with the highest number of unfunded, high-priority abandoned mine lands: Alabama, Kentucky, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, the Navajo Nation, the Hopi Tribe, and the Crow Tribe. Each state re-grants this funding for projects that remediate abandoned mine land sites for economic and community development uses. Eligible applicants and projects vary by state.

Technical Assistance to Brownfields (TAB) Communities Program

Environmental Protection Agency
Open Year-Round

The Brownfields Technical Assistance to Brownfields (TAB) Communities Program provides a range of technical assistance opportunities and resources related to brownfield remediation and development, offered by six primary TAB providers across the country. Each of these six technical assistance serves as an independent resource for communities within their geographical area. TAB providers can provide assistance with the following brownfields-related activities: preparing grant applications, performing site inventories, reviewing historical information, designing the investigation/sampling/field analysis, and supporting cleanup and redevelopment planning.

More From Getting Started with Federal Grants